Stahl Cowen is a law firm that skillfully handles complex legal matters for international companies and entrepreneurs seeking to expand their business ventures in the U.S. and around the globe.Specializing in serving middle market-sized companies, our attorneys have handled domestic and international legal matters for clients in Africa, Asia, Australia, the Caribbean, Central America, Europe, Mexico, the Middle East, Russia and the United Kingdom. These clients represent a variety of industries, including technology, manufacturing, real estate, telecommunications, transportation, food services and private equity. Most importantly, as a mid-sized law firm, Stahl Cowen provides its services on a cost-effective basis.
With the expansion of the world economy, our attorneys represent international companies that have subsidiaries in the U.S. or that otherwise transact business in the U.S. Our clients look to us to assist them with their business organizations and transactions, including business formation, joint ventures, due diligence, M&A, divestitures, U.S. securities matters, employment law, import/export issues, negotiating contracts and licensing agreements, all real estate matters, commercial lending, issuance of letters of credit, raising venture capital, structuring investments, private wealth services, asset protection, succession planning and tax. In addition, we also represent clients in matters involving bankruptcy and restructuring, and litigation and dispute resolution.
With attorneys licensed in several states in the U.S. and a network of qualified professionals in many foreign countries, Stahl Cowen capably serves clients in multiple jurisdictions.
Stahl Cowen is also proud to be active in a number of global business and foreign policy organizations, including the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, the India Chamber of Commerce, the Global Midwest Alliance and the U.S.-China Chamber of Commerce.
Stahl Cowen understands China’s complex, ever-changing business environment and culture and is actively involved in the Chinese market, making it possible for us to help our Chinese clients with their legal needs in developing business opportunities in the United States. We have helped Chinese businesses and entrepreneurs with their needs in real estate, contractual agreements, export and import issues, business expansion through joint ventures, mergers and formation of subsidiaries, finance, bankruptcy, intellectual property and tax. The Firm has successfully helped Chinese individuals obtain green cards and has handled numerous capital raises utilizing the EB-5 visa program for U.S. businesses seeking $5 to $40 million of investor funds. Rob Mintz
Europe and Beyond
Stahl Cowen offers dynamic and sophisticated legal services to clients in Europe, Africa, Australia, the Caribbean, Central America, Mexico and the UK. Our attorneys represent U.S. companies with interests abroad as well as international clients doing business in the United States. With the ability to establish a global team when additional counsel is needed, Stahl Cowen is able to handle cross-border transactions and disputes. We represent a variety of clients that range from large publicly held corporations to small businesses to individual investors. With an established network of local counsel, we advise our clients on cross-border transactions and disputes, including M&A, business formation and strategic expansion, joint ventures, real estate, REITs, tax, employment issues, international intellectual licensing agreements, international arbitration and shareholder disputes. Rob Mintz Jeff Stahl
Our attorneys are very familiar with the deepening business ties between India and the United States. Representing one of India’s largest business conglomerates, as well as other Indian-based clients, our attorneys are poised to assist Indian businesses and entrepreneurs who need experienced counsel to guide them through the U.S. business culture and laws so that they may capitalize on new opportunities. We provide a full range of general corporate legal services to both public and private companies, including offerings, commercial lending, mergers and acquisitions, restructuring and commercial contract drafting. We have also represented many India-based clients in numerous litigation matters.
With a growing transfer of workers between the United States and India, employment and immigration issues are becoming increasingly important. Our attorneys have counseled Indian companies on the complexities of U.S. employment law and represented them in employment litigation throughout the United States. Lauane Addis Jon Cohen
EB-5 Visa Program and Investments
Stahl Cowen’s attorneys assist U.S. businesses and Regional Center promoters with developing projects under the EB-5 immigrant investor visa program to secure capital from overseas investors. Our attorneys bring extensive knowledge of the EB-5 visa program to advise our clients on the full scope of financing options available for funding new commercial enterprises or reviving existing businesses. We help clients capitalize on the benefits of participation in the EB-5 visa program by aligning their core business objectives with financing strategies. These companies represent a variety of industries, including franchising, hotel and restaurant, leisure and entertainment, manufacturing, renewable energy and medical technology.
In addition to advising U.S. companies seeking overseas investors, we also represent immigrant entrepreneurs, investors, and their dependents who seek to establish legal residency in the United States by obtaining green cards under the EB-5 visa program. Rob Mintz
- Counsel an Omanian private equity firm on general U.S. corporate and securities matters and assist in due diligence and other corporate matters to acquire target subsidiaries located in the U.S. The company has purchased large stakes in 10 India-based companies.
- Advise a Swiss hearing aid manufacturer in corporate matters and its downstream expansion into the U.S. market.
- Serve as counsel to The Royal Family of Serbia in a variety of corporate matters, including the formation and qualification as a 501(c)3 of Lifeline Humanitarian Organization, the U.S. arm of the patron charity of HRH Crown Princess Katherine.
- Counsel a Russian entrepreneur in the sale of his confectionary and meat processing businesses in Russia and development of a high-end 100,000 square foot grocery store, restaurant and meat processing business in Aurora, Illinois.
- Represent one of India’s largest conglomerates in a variety of legal matters, including acquisitions, employment issues, general corporate and litigation matters.
- Advised Indian pharmaceutical/vaccine manufacturer on U.S. Securities matters.
- Serve as Outside General Counsel to India based IT company.
- Represent a Middle Eastern private investor in multiple U.S. companies with structuring, negotiating and documenting investments in a variety of U.S. companies.
- Represent an individual estate in connection with Swiss bank account and IRS issues.
- Act as U.S. counsel for an Australian-based integrated supply chain logistics management solutions company in a variety of real estate and litigation matters.
- Represent Australian REIT and its U.S. subsidiary in its acquisition, financing, development and sale of U.S.-based shopping center; in its venture relationships with various partners; and, in the creation of a venture with a major U.S. grocery store group.
- Advised a Fortune 1000 manufacturer of consumer packaging products in the purchase of disposable food industry manufacturing companies in England and Panama, followed by ongoing corporate representation of those companies. Also, conducted extensive due diligence for acquisition targets in Mexico and Costa Rica.
- Represented a leading customized rope and cable solutions company in the purchase of a heavy manufacturing company in England, followed by ongoing corporate representation of that company throughout the world. Eventually, sold this company to a NYC-based private equity firm. Also, conducted extensive due diligence on other acquisition targets in Spain, Italy and Saudi Arabia.
- Advised a French manufacturer of oak wine barrels and similar products in the establishment and expansion of its U.S. business.
- Represented an international telecommunications company in connection with raising capital in the U.S. for a Nigerian telecommunications project.
- Represented a real estate development company and two of its four principal owners in a contentious shareholder dispute over a Caribbean investment property located in Dutch St. Maarten.