We help property owners address issues from A (acquisitions) to Z (zoning), and everything in between. We also work with financial institutions to prosecute and defend lawsuits related to loan agreements, restructurings, and bankruptcies. We analyze title insurance coverage and resolve title disputes involving a wide array of issues, such as competing liens, easements, title ownership, and encroachments. In addition, we resolve monetary and possessory disputes between landlords and tenants and between condominium associations and their unit owners.
And we have produced notable results for clients, including:
- Victory in a $1+ million mechanic’s lien trial
- Obtaining injunctions that allowed condominium owners to run for election to their condominium board and prevented others from conducting unauthorized elections
- Successfully defending a homeowner against a fraudulent transfer claim seeking to unwind his purchase
- Obtaining a judgment against a large oil company in favor of a landowner in a dispute over the value of the property covered by a ground lease purchase option
- Protecting our client’s property interest and recovering damages from the surveyor and seller based on claims for breach of warranty deed and negligent misrepresentation
When necessary, we even successfully fight City Hall, such as when we obtained declaratory relief forcing the Cook County Recorder of Deeds to record heirship documents.
We have particular strengths in advising and protecting condominium associations concerning the enforcement and interpretation of condominium laws, declarations, rules, election procedures, assessment collection, business contracts, and construction projects and performance.
Clients rely on our real estate attorneys – litigators and transactional lawyers alike – to structure deals and help them manage operations proactively, and to prevent disputes and avoid costly and disruptive litigation whenever possible.