PRACTICESBankruptcy and Restructuring
EDUCATIONJohn Marshall Law School, Chicago - JD, with distinction, 1980
Bradley University, Peoria, IL - BS, 1977
DePaul University - Certificate Holder, 2000
- State of Illinois (1980)
- United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit (1987)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (1980)
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin (1996)
Bruce C. Dopke
Bruce is a partner of the firm in the bankruptcy practice area.In his 34 year legal career, Bruce has represented debtors, creditors, creditors’ committees, financial institutions, trustees and other parties in complex chapter 11 bankruptcy cases pending in Chicago and in other large metropolitan areas. Bruce has also represented debtors in small business chapter 11 cases and individual chapter 7 and 13 cases, which pose their own challenges and can sometimes be as demanding as the larger commercial bankruptcy cases. If your matter has anything to do with bankruptcy law, Bruce has probably dealt with the subject.
- Represented a construction industry debtor in a liquidating chapter 11 case which successfully confirmed, due to a series of novel settlements made by and between the debtor, general contractors and a group of labor pension funds.
- In the same matter referred to immediately above, prevailed in a contested matter between our client (the debtor) and a group of labor pension funds and construction industry unions which concerned the standards under which a collective bargaining agreement between the debtor, the unions and the pension funds may be rejected in a liquidating chapter 11 case – a matter of first impression in this district.
- Represented the largest unsecured creditor in a chapter 12 (farm) bankruptcy case, and then, following the conversion of that case to chapter 7, represented the chapter 7 trustee. As trustee’s counsel, Bruce obtained significant recoveries for the estate on preference claims which centered on the valuation of growing crops.
- Represented the chair of the creditors’ committee in a retail case pending in Wilmington, DE which involved 60 retail locations as well as warehousing operations, which successfully reorganized.
- Throughout his career, represented financial institutions in chapter 7, 11 and 13 bankruptcy cases and workouts.
Professional & Civic Activities
- Chicago Bar Association, Member (1980)
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member (2001)
- American Board of Certification, Business Bankruptcy (1994)
- Lawyer's Club of Chicago, Member (2008)
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys, Member (2010)