WE’VE KEPT BUSY OVER THE PAST YEAR …
- $ 1 Billion+ in closed deals
- 850+ client matters opened
- Five new team members
- 25 states with client matters
In the past year, we have added five new team members, we closed a record number of matters and several of our attorneys were recognized as leaders in the legal community through awards, recognition, and lecturing on a wide range of legal topics such as equitable subrogation; income and gift tax pitfalls and estate planning during divorce proceedings; recent amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and the Mandatory Initial Discovery Pilot Program; advising small and midsize law firms on operational issues; convertible debt terms and consequences; Illinois Angel Investment tax credits and syndicate formations; 83(b) and 409A valuations; and equity incentive planning.
ANOTHER YEAR OF AWARDED ATTORNEYS
More than half of Stahl Cowen’s partners have been awarded for their achievements and recognized as leaders in the legal community, including Super Lawyers, Ron Damashek, Bruce Dopke and Jeff Stahl, together with Illinois Rising Stars, Megan Mathias, Alex Pappas, and Drew Whiting; Leading Lawyers, Lauane Addis, Ron Damashek, Tom Moffitt, Mike Pinsky and Jeff Stahl; and Emerging Lawyer, Kevin Hunt. Megan Matthias’ was nominated for the 2017 Women of Influence Award by Best Lawyers Magazine and her support for women owned business was recognized by The Founding Moms; Drew Whiting served as a Judge for the Notre Dame McCloskey Business Plan Competition and was named an Alumnus of Distinction at the Loyola Chicago School of Law.
GIVING BACK TO OUR COMMUNITY
Our attorneys recognize the importance of giving back to the community. We regularly donate to charitable organizations around the Chicagoland area, educate fellow attorneys by participating in continuing legal education programs, and are actively involved in (and recognized by) civic and judicial organizations. Keeping up with our annual tradition, the entire Stahl Cowen team is invited to spend the day volunteering at the Greater Chicago Food Depository, where we helped packed almost 15,000 pounds of pears for local food banks and shelters. You can find out more about the Greater Chicago Food Depository at: www.ChicagosFoodBank.org
Partners Jeff Stahl, Tom Moffitt, Alex Pappas, and associate Becky Vicario posted a record year for the real estate group. Together they assisted clients in the acquisition, sale, development, financing and leasing over a variety of property types. Among the most notable were:
- Over $80,000,000 in self-storage facilities for our clients. Transactions spanned from coast-to-coast, including land acquisitions in California; the sale of the country’s tallest self-storage facility (21 stories) right here in Chicago; financing multiple Illinois self-storage facilities; and representing a lender in a $16,000,000+ loan for the construction of a self-storage facility in Brooklyn, New York.
- Shopping Center transactions totaling over $175,000,000 nationwide. Our team represented clients in the acquisition, development and leasing of Publix, Albertsons and Harris Teeter anchored shopping centers across Florida, Alabama, North Carolina, Georgia, and Idaho, and represented lenders, buyers and sellers of shopping centers across Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Minnesota.
- Our real estate attorneys also handled the acquisition and construction financing of a micro-unit apartment building in Chicago; a joint venture acquisition of a 42 lot residential home development in Bloomingdale, IL; and negotiated a long-term, 32,000 sq/ft retail lease for a nationwide restaurant group in Minnesota, which involved a heavily negotiated and formulaic sales breakpoint along with a $10,500,000 commitment from the landlord toward the tenant’s build out and improvements.
As always, the Stahl Cowen litigation team had another year of impressive victories in the courtroom. Clients were represented on both the State and Federal Court level, including bankruptcy and appellate matters. Specifically:
- Partners Ron Damashek, Jeremy Kreger, and Melissa Lettiere successfully subrogated a new mortgagee to over $370,000 in pre-existing mortgage liens, notwithstanding the opposition’s claim that the new mortgagor’s deed was forged; and were also able to recovering over $100,000 for a residential condominium association in a dispute with a commercial property owner over expense allocations.
- Partners Bruce Dopke and Kevin Hunt successfully reorganized a leading continuing care retirement community, resulting in a 56% return for the company’s bondholders (a result far superior to the typical recovery in similar chapter 11 cases)
- Partner Andrew Eres concluded a four-year long lawsuit by obtaining judgments in excess of $12,000,000, against multiple borrowers, and collected a substantial settlement shortly thereafter, also, he was able to negotiate a forbearance agreement that ultimately led to a full $7,000,000 payoff for a banking client’s complex set of 11 cross-collateralized/defaulted loans.
- Stahl Cowen Partner, Megan Matthias, successfully represented one of Illinois largest contractors in multiple breach of contract and mechanic’s lien lawsuits; resolved a lawsuit involving 49 alleged examples of trade dress and trademark infringement; obtained an order of protection and other relief against an owner of a $15,000,000 business; and prevailed in a heavily contested divorce involving a $30,000,000 maintenance claim, allowing our client to fully retain her business, while also avoiding permanent maintenance payments to her former spouse.
Stahl Cowen’s corporate partners, with the assistance of associates Alex Seydel and Sim Boscovic and paralegal Erin Quiggle, had a banner year in finance, mergers and acquisitions, and venture capital transactions, guiding and closing deals valued in excess of $500,000,000.
- Partners Lauane Addis and Tim Fitzgerald closed the acquisition of an IT implementation company for an Indian IT conglomerate; a steel processing company; a competing practice by an accounting firm; and five translator radio stations. Lauane and Tim also negotiated and documented joint venture agreements between two steel processing companies for location of a steel mill in an Enterprise Zone; between a supplier of electronic equipment to the trucking industry and a major parcel carrier; and between two IT development companies.
- Partner Rob Mintz successfully structured and closed a $50,000,000 bank loan to one of the world’s premier foreign exchange companies, and successfully navigated a complex $25,000,000 commercial loan for one of the Midwest’s largest sports equiment distributors and manufacturers.
- Partner Drew Whiting was involved in the formation and funding of 23 Chicago-area venture capital angel investment SPVs across five angel syndicates; a $5,000,000 Early Stage Venture Capital Fund; a $20,000,000 Offshore Cryptocurrency fund; and a $5,000,000 blockchain technology investment vehicle. Drew also was counsel for Fund Syndications of approximately $150M; and numerous Venture Backed Companies that have raised $35,000,000.