PRACTICESPrivate Wealth Services
Business Organizations and Transactions
EDUCATIONChicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology - LLM, 2012
Northwestern University - JD, 1994
Hope College, Holland Michigan - BA, Magna Cum Laude, 1991
- Illinois (1994)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (1994)
- US Tax Court (2011)
Lauren Evans DeJong
Lauren Evans DeJong focuses her practice on the needs of individuals and families, assisting them in areas related to transferring and preserving wealth, including planning for business succession, disability, special needs, health care coverage and taxation. She also helps clients with the administration of trusts, decedents’ estates and the estates of disabled persons in probate court.In counseling clients with regard to estate planning, Lauren assists clients with the necessary tools, consisting of wills, trusts, powers of attorney, disability documents, marital property agreements and charitable gifting documents. Lauren prepares such estate planning documents, personalized to the needs and desires of each individual. She advises clients on asset management and protection strategies, including the designation of proper owners and beneficiaries of life insurance policies, pension and retirement plans, the benefits of lifetime gifting and the protection and succession of family and closely-held businesses.
The interrelationship between estate planning and business matters is a real concern for many when planning. Lauren’s experience in this arena is invaluable, assisting clients with entity formation, and the preparation of organizational documents and agreements, including partnership, shareholder and operation agreements. In addition, Lauren assists with the creation of qualified S corporation shareholder entities and lifetime gifting vehicles.
In area of probate and estate and trust administration, Lauren assists clients with their duties as legal representative, whether executor, administrator, guardian or trustee. This includes complying with relevant laws, facilitating the sale of personal and real property and resolution of estate issues which may arise with regard to the collection of assets, payment or negotiation of debts and tax matters. Additionally, Lauren prepares estate, gift and fiduciary tax returns. Lauren handles the complexities and interplay between courts, taxing authorities, beneficiaries and fiduciaries, easing the concerns and obligations of the legal representative.
Unfortunately, probate, including guardianships, and the administration of estates and trusts is not always conflict free. In such cases, Lauren works with clients to resolve disputes through mediation, settlement and litigation. Similarly, when such disputes involve tax matters, Lauren represents clients in proceedings before the Internal Revenue Service, Illinois Department of Revenue and other administrative and regulatory bodies.
- Illinois' New Small Estate Affidavit, Illinois State Bar Association General Practice, Solo & Small Firm Section Council Newsletter, March 2016
- "Trusts No Longer Trapped by Residency of Grantor", Illinois State Bar Association General Practice, Solo and Small Firm Section Council Newsletter, October 2014
- Wills - Everyone Needs One, Illinois State Bar Association Standing Committee on Law Related Education Newsletter, Nov/Dec, 2011
- "Search and Seizure in Public Schools", Illinois State Bar Association Standing Committee on Law Related Education Newsletter, Mar/April, 2011
- "Lincoln and Higher Education", Illinois State Bar Association Standing Committee on Law Related Education Newsletter, Nov/Dec, 2009
- "One Size Does Not Fit All", Trust and Estate Legal Strategies, Aspatore Books, 2008
- "New Laws Impact Planning for Death", SRZ Views, Vol. 1, Issue 2, Winter, 2006
Professional & Civic Activities
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Estate Planning Counsel
- Dupage County Estate Planning Counsel
- Professional Women's Club of Chicago
Honors & Awards
- Chicago-Kent College of Law Cali Excellence for The Future Award, Sales & Exchanges, Fall, 2009
- Chicago-Kent College of Law Cali Excellence for The Future Award, Estate Planning, Spring, 2010
- Chicago-Kent College of Law Cali Excellence for The Future Award, Tax Crimes & Penalties, Spring, 2011
- Chicago-Kent College of Law Cali Excellence for The Future Award, Tax Exempt Organization, Fall, 2011